If you're concerned about your home/personal Internet usage being monitored or perhaps you're tired of continually being blocked from utilising international services such as Netflix or maybe you would simply like to maintain your privacy on the internet, you require what is known as a Virtual Private Network (VPN).What exactly is a VPN?
A virtual private network (VPN) is a technology that creates an encrypted connection between yourself and a secure/private server over the internet.
Specifically, with a VPN connection, all of your traffic between your computer and the VPN server is automatically encrypted so anyone who tries to view your traffic will only see unintelligible text, numbers and symbols.
The illustration below explains this concept:
In the top half of the diagram, we see 2 users (Alice and Bob), who are using their devices to access an internet page. Given that there is no use of an encrypted VPN application, all of the information sent/received can be easily read and intercepted by the ISP. This is typical internet usage for most people.
In the second half of the diagram, we see the same 2 users have now installed a VPN application on their device and as a result, they have established an encrypted channel with a VPN server resulting in that their ISP can now no longer read/monitor what site(s) they visit.
- a) In the case of Alice, she is visiting a web site that enforces Secure HTTP (i.e. a webpage beginning with https) thus ensuring her entire VPN communication channel is fully encrypted.
- b) In Bob's example, Bob is currently not visiting a web page that enforces Secure HTTP (i.e. a webpage beginning with http) but is still protected from his ISP as the encrypted channel to the VPN server is established.
What does a VPN allow me to actually do?
On a personal laptop, desktop, smartphone or tablet, it will allow yourself to do the following safely and securely:
- 1. Encrypt your internet connection to ensure hackers, governments and any "enforcement agency" cannot snoop and read your private Internet usage and downloading. This also includes the increasing requests from numerous local councils to Internet Service Providers (ISPs) seeking metadata on their very resident's Internet usage.
- 2. Be able to use that free WI-FI offered in your local coffee, shopping centre, shopping mall, hotels and airports etc.
- 3. Bypass local or regional restrictions to access any international services/products such as Netflix, BBC etc by simply selecting an appropriate server in that country.
- 4. Continue to use your favourite torrent application (i.e. uTorrent, Vuze, rTorrent, Transmission etc)*.
- 5. Provide a way to bypass Internet filters or tight firewall rules imposed by ISP's or countries such as China and UAE etc. (This is handy if you're travelling abroad).
Is there a VPN provider that you recommend?
Yes. We have partnered with Smooth Web Hosting ( URL: https://www.smoothwebhosting.com.au ) as they:
- 1. are very reliable and affordable.
- 2. offer simple and easy to understand subscription plans (monthly, quarterly & yearly).
- 3. installation instructions are very easy to follow.
- 4. Offer a risk free 7 day trial period.
What are the prices?
For the VPN Pro Service package, the prices are listed below. All are in AUD.
- 1. $12.95 Monthly
- 2. $29.95 Quarterly
- 3. $104.95 Annually
You remain in complete control of your billing cycle. Subscriptions to this service are easily supported by: PayPal and Credit Card.
Do I need to download any software?
Yes. Once you have reviewed and purchased your subscription, you will need to download the software and install it on your computer / device. All you need to do is follow the instruction guide and you're done.
What computer / device can I use my VPN service on?
Your VPN can easily be run on the following:
- 1. Apple/Mac computer (desktop / laptop)
- 2. Windows computer (desktop / laptop)
- 3. Linux computer (desktop / laptop)
- 4. IOS device (smartphone / tablet)
- 5. Android device (smartphone / tablet)
Smooth VPN provide a 7 day free trial. Give it a go and try it for yourself risk free.
You can find all the detailed information on Smooth VPN's website by clicking here or simply copy and paste the following URL into your browser: https://www.smoothvpn.com.au
The Smooth Web Hosting Team* We don't encourage illegal downloading.